There’s always that time of year when we are more aware of germs then ever before. Yes, I’m talking about that nasty virus called the Flu. In this article, I will share how I naturally avoid the flu and keep my family healthy.
As a wife and Mama of two, I see it as my duty to do all I can to keep my family healthy. After all, its certainly not a priority in their eyes. There was a time I would grab medicine out of the cabinet as soon as I heard the clicking noise you make with your tongue, which was always an indicator someone had a itchy throat was about to come down with a cold.
I have since found more effective and natural alternatives to keep my family healthy and manged to avoid the flu all together.
*Disclaimer: Always check with your doctor first if you have any concerns with vitamins and supplements before giving them to your kids. This post contains my business links. Please visit my business links disclosure to learn more about it. This post also contains my Amazon affiliate links and other affiliates as well. I will receive a small commission at no cost to you, if you purchase through one of my links or banners. Thank you so much for your support! Please read my affiliate link disclosure to learn more about it. *
How To Naturally Avoid The Flu
1. Healthier Diet: Eating healthy can certainly be a challenge for some, but when it comes to avoiding the flu, its definitely needed. Incorporating more fruits and veggies into your diet, will give your immune system a boost. Therefore, your body will be able to fight off more viruses that may try to come your way.
Check out my article on How To Get Your Child To Eat More Veggies. It will give you different ideas on how you can start incorporating more veggies.
2. Proper Hand Washing: This is self explanatory but, not always done as frequent as it should be. According to the Global Hygiene Council, we should wash our hands over 6 times a day. If you think about it, that’s really feasible. Heck, my kids use the bathroom more times a day then that so I think we got that covered.
According to the CDC, the proper way to wash your hands include these steps:
- First wet your hands completely
- Lather your hands with soap
- Scrub front to back and in between fingernails for dear life for 20 seconds
- Rinse your hands and dry
3. Cleaning & Disinfecting Surfaces: It’s important to clean and disinfect surfaces around the house that are touched often. Let’s first know the difference between cleaning and disinfecting.
Cleaner: A product used for cleaning surfaces or objects; Rids the dirt but does not kill the germs. I personally use a multi purpose cleaner that is biodegradable and is safe for the environment. I absolutely love it because I can use it on pretty much anything and that’s a mama’s cleaning dream! I also love that it is safe to use around my kids.
Whenever I’m on the go with the kiddos, I use my multi purpose wipes. They are literally good for anything but i mainly use them for spills in the car and to wipe the kids hands after they play at the park or something.
Disinfectant: A chemical product used to kill germs on surfaces or objects. I personally don’t use disinfectants as much because it is full of chemicals but I do use a disinfectant whenever I feel like my floors really need it.
4. Sleep: I try my best to make sure my kiddos get at least 12 hours of sleep per night and at least an hour nap per day. Sleep is just a vital part of our overall health and development. The National Sleep Foundation as a recommended sleep duration chart for all ages.
5. Vitamins and Supplements: This has truly been one of the biggest things for keeping my family healthy and avoiding the flu. There was a point when my hubby and I were totally against taking anything “extra”.
After having our two children, we realized we may not necessarily eat all of the healthy things we should be eating on a daily basis. Especially the kids! They are pretty good eaters but sometimes they may not get all of the nutrients from the food they eat that day. So the hubs and I take a multivitamin that as 22 plant concentrates, 12 essential vitamins, 10 essential minerals. We need all of our nutrients with these little ones!
Whenever my daughter asks for juice, I just give her the immune booster because it taste like juice and its actually good for her. If either of my kids are trying to come down with a cold, I immediately give them a powder probiotic, raw unfiltered honey, and lemon water.
There are a number of other things I do to treat cold symptoms but I will save that for another article. These 5 key things have truly helped us avoid the flu. My 4 year old and soon to be 2 year old do Not get the flu vaccine and have Never had the flu!
I’m not telling you this to brag, I really just want everyone to know there are other natural alternatives out there for avoiding the flu that I have personally seen to be effective.
I hope this was helpful!
Please comment below if you have any questions and don’t forget to subscribe for more awesome tips on keeping a healthy family!